We previously talked about why jogging is such an optimal hobby and health activity to be consistently doing. If you still have doubts about why you should be jogging, do read that post I linked to. If, on the other hand, you have already joined us and are willing to get started right away or in the near future, this post is your guide.
What do we need?
Right off, we need to discuss what kinds of material and accessories we need. Truthfully, if you are really just looking for a vanilla version of the jogging experience, all you really need are:
- A pair of decent running shoes; do not bother getting the most expensive ones, as the regular ones are much more affordable and provide basically all of the same benefits
- An area to jog in: this can be either your local neighborhood, a few blocks around your house, a gym where they have a running track or a treadmill, or a treadmill right at your house. Notice how I listed each area by affordability; running around the block is the cheapest and most convenient, while purchasing a good treadmill costs hundreds to a thousand dollars (I especially love that forum thread I linked to because the first post talks about how jogging outside is free!)
What are optional items?
The above is all you really need to start jogging. That and, of course, the will to do it, which we assume you have since you have been on this blog a while, and hopefully subscribed too (add this feed to your blog reader to do so)!
- Music, audiobook, or podcast player. Your smartphone will come incredibly handy for something like jogging. It can play music, it can play audiobooks (seriously, invest in these if you are interested in reading while not actually reading; it is a huge time saver and makes running so much funner), and it can play podcasts. Simply launch up your music player, audiobook player, or something like TuneIn Radio or Caster for your Android or iPhone device and listen away!
- Earphones. Keep it simple here. You do not need “sport” or “running” earphones. Those are basically gimmicks. A standard set of earbuds will do the trick, but with that said, you still want a pair that will stick to your ears when you move. There is truly nothing more annoying than having to adjust your buds while you focus on running
- A phone band. If you intend to listen to anything while jogging, a phone band might come in handy. Basically, it is a strap that you can put your smartphone in, and it gets out of the way when you run. If you want to keep it more simple, ladies often place their smartphone in their bra and men usually just keep it in their pocket.
- A treadmill. This really is optional, and should not be taken as a recommendation. Like the thread above said, running outside is totally free and provides the same benefits. This is really only for people that have the funds to do so or wants the convenience of being able to workout where you live. Keep in mind the large costs of purchasing a treadmill, though.
- Water bottle. If you plan on running for a long time in a single session, bringing along a water bottle will prove useful. If you plan on running for the long term, like every other day for the next few months or so, it might be economically and financially better for you to purchase a plastic or aluminum water bottle to fill up. It will last longer and cost less.
Well, that is it to start jogging. We listed everything you need to truly get a start on this fantastic hobby of ours, as well as some things you do not actually need and can do without, but are useful to take on your journey.
Remember to keep it simple, everyone! Jogging is one of the simplest sports today and bringing an entire backpack of things for a 30 minute or 1 hour jog is doing yourself a disservice.